Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2018 08:52:21 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Cc:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org>, freebsd-jail@freebsd.org, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: VIMAGE: vnet, epair and lots of jails on bridgeX - routing

--Sig_/iZ3C2Do29sYhN8rpa4JmBL/

Am Fri, 09 Feb 2018 16:43:17 +0000
"Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net> schrieb:

> On 9 Feb 2018, at 16:22, O. Hartmann wrote:
>=20
> > Am Thu, 8 Feb 2018 09:31:15 +0100
> > "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org> schrieb:
> >
> > Is this problem to trivial? =20
>=20
> I read through it yesterday and found myself in the position that I need=
=20
> a whiteboard or paper and pencil or an ASCII art of your situation.  But=
=20
> by the time I made it to the question I was basically lost.  Could you=20
> massively simplify this and maybe produce the ASCII art?
>=20
> /bz

All right.

I'm not much of an artist and at this very moment, I haven't much experienc=
e with neat
ASCII art tools. But I'll provide a sketch later, but I also will simplify =
 the situation.

Consider three "vswitches", basically based on the creation of bridges, bri=
dge0, bridge1,
bridge2. Create at least three individual vnet-jails attached to each vbrid=
ge. Those
jails have epair pseudo devices. The jail itself owns the "a-part" of the e=
pair and the
b-part is "member of the bridge". Each jail's epairXXXa has an IP assigned =
of the network
the vswitch is part of. I mention a- and b-part of the epair here, because =
I thought it
could matter, but I think for symmetry reasons it doesn't.

Now consider a further, special jail. This jail is supposed to have three e=
pair devices,
each one is reaching into one of the vbridges. This jail is the router/rout=
ing jail.
Later, this jail should filter via IPFW the traffic between the three vbrid=
ges according
to rules, but this doesn't matter here, beacuase the basics are not working=
 as expected.

Now the problems. It doesn't matter on which jail of the three vswitches I =
login, the
moment a vbridge has more than two member epairs (one  is alway member of t=
he routing
jail, now consider a database jail and a webserver jail), pinging each jail=
 or the
routing jail fails. It works sometimes for a couple of ICMP packets and the=
n stops.

If each vbridge has only one member jail, I have NO PROBLEMS traversing acc=
ordingly to
the static routing rules from one vbridge to any other, say from vbridge1 t=
o vbridge0 or
vbridge2 and any permutation of that.

The moment any of the bridges gets an additional member epair interface (so=
 the bridge
has at least three members including the on reaching into the virtual route=
r jail) the
vbridge seems to operate unpredictable (to me). Pinging jails memeber of th=
at vbridge
are unreachable.

Technical information:

The kernel has options IPFIREWALL, VIMAGE. The host's ipfw (kernel) decline=
s packets by
default. Each jail is configured to have ipfw "open".

Thanks for the patience.

Kind regards,

O. Hartmann