Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 1999 15:34:13 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Keith Stevenson <k.stevenson@louisville.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   IBM reps/ADSM client  (Was Re: Linux emulation failures under 3.1-STABLE. )

> I got it running under 2.2.8 a few months ago, but every time I started it,
> the ADSM server running on our big OS/390 mainframe abended.  This is widely
> considered to be a bad thing.  (The mainframe's administrator certainly
> thought so.)  I saw a posting to one of the FreeBSD lists about a week ago
> which identified the cause of the server's death as a buffer overflow
> problem.  Last time I checked, IBM listed the Linux client as unsupported, so
> I don't imaging they are very interested in hearing that we are having problems
> running it in emulation mode.  (I am leaning on our regional support rep to
> suggest a FreeBSD port.  I don't think I'm going to get very far though.)

That may depends on how well we go over the next few months leaning on
IBM.  If anyone/everyone reading this that has contact with an IBM rep
mentions FreeBSD as much as possible in the context of a server OS on
IBM i386 hardware, we may be able to slingshot on the
Linux-on-Netfinity moves that are happening at the moment.

We had some very favourable interactions with IBM representatives at
Linuxworld, some of whom actively sought us out having been pointed our
way by external sources.  There's some hope we can build on these
contacts (and resolve the outstanding hardware issues as well).