Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 1996 16:21:54 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for Lucent WaveLAN (ISA, not mobile) cards?

BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com stands accused of saying:
> Has anyone developed FreeBSD support for the Lucent/AT&T/NCR WaveLAN cards?
> I'm currently working with wireless bridges built around these cards, and
> they work well for upscale projects.  But on projects where cost is
> paramount, we may need to run the adapters right inside UNIX hosts. This
> should be easy.... Provided that drivers and setup utilities are available.
>
> Are there FreeBSD drivers for these cards -- either the 900 MHz or 2.4 GHz
> versions? Userland configuration and status utilities?

There's a potential customer in Sydney that's considering trying to
fund me to produce a decent driver for these cards.  At this point in
time, there are several BSD/OS drivers, a Linux driver, and (I
believe) support in the PAO code for the PCCARD Wavelan cards.

The customer was planning on supplying me with a couple of loaner
cards; if you were interested in helping fund the exercise I can put
the two of you in contact.  (Note that I'm trying to work things out
so that I can afford to spend time working on device drivers; the big
struggle is finding people who understand that I have to eat while I'm
doing this, and striking a balance with my employer.)