Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 11:54:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        schofiel@xs4all.nl
Cc:        richard@pegasus.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strong opinions, anyone?

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 richard@pegasus.com wrote:

    > }
    > } On the following bits of kit:
    > }
    > } Tandberg TDC 4220 2.0 G Tape streamer
    > } Exabyte EXB-8200TS 2.5 G Tape streamer
    > } Fujitsu M295X 4.5 G Disk
    > }
    > } Any opinions?
    >
    > The Exabyte 8200's are cheap, reliable and have the lowest media cost
    > of just about any backup device.
    >
    > A great deal.

Exabyte is a good deal, remote sensing people are using them on a daily
basis here. They are using tapes like others were using floppies a few
years ago.

You might want to check the firmware though. We had here a number of
odd drives in a EXB-120 juke. It was said that it was the combination
that made it behave strangely, but I had problems hooking the thing up
to a Sparc20.

EXB 8505 are _very_ reliable though. Also, you will be able to read a
tape written on one driver on another, which is an advantage.

Nick

STA-ISIS, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, Italy
building: 27A
tel.: +39 332 78 9549
fax.: +39 332 78 9185