Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:35:44 +0000
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        FreeBSD questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   user dead but appears still logged in in 'w' output

> I have a problem with a user who was idle for a long period
> of time which I killed off by terminating the associated
> login process for that user's ssh connection.  However
> that user still appears in the output from 'w'.
>
> How can I remove the user from 'w' output?
Ok, I've just logged in multiple times on a ttyp until I logged
in on the tty occupied by the ghost and the w entry was removed.
(The user was logged in on ttyp2, so I logged in on ttyp0, p1 and
then on logging in on p2 the ghost was removed).

Is there an easier way?

> I've just installed 'idled' so hopefully it won't happen
> in future ;)
Maybe this is the 'easier' way eh?  We shall see

Cheers anyway,
Jez