Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 2021 16:20:30 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Subject:   Re: killall, symlinks, and signal delivery?

On September 7, 2021 3:42:53 PM PDT, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask=2Eapl=2Ewas=
hington=2Eedu> wrote:
>I have stumbled about a quandry, which I hope someone
>can shed some light upon=2E  In my day job, I often
>generate a sequence of images and display these images
>with ImageMagick's display command=2E  From my csh prompt,
>a quick and dirty foreach() loop
>
>% foreach i (*=2Epng)
>> display $i &
>> sleep 3
>> end
>
>Instead of moving the cursor to each image and hitting
>'q' to close the images=2E  I normally kill all of the
>processes at one time=2E  This used to work:
>
>% killall display
>
>Now I geit, for example,=20
>
>% display z=2Emiff &
>% killall display
>No matching processes belonging to you were found
>% ps -Ukargl | grep display
>19463  1  S    0:00=2E02 display z=2Emiff (magick)
>19465  1  S+   0:00=2E00 grep display
>% ls -l /usr/local/bin/display=20
>lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  - 6 Jun  1 14:18 /usr/local/bin/display@ -> ma=
gick

>So, there are two possibilities:
>(1) display was once an independent program and not a
>    symlink to magick=2E  Thus, killall just worked=2E Or,
>(2) killall no longer works because command associated
>    with process 19463 is not really 'display' and the
>    symlink isn't resolved to actually kill 'magick'=2E
>
>So, just chekcing (2), here=2E  Is this a change in behvior
>for FreeBSD?

It's likely your app is replacing its process name (argv[0]) to something =
else=2E ps auxww may give you a hint what it might be now=2E

--=20
Pardon the typos and autocorrect, small keyboard in use=2E=20
Cy Schubert <Cy=2ESchubert@cschubert=2Ecom>
FreeBSD UNIX: <cy@FreeBSD=2Eorg> Web: https://www=2EFreeBSD=2Eorg

The need of the many outweighs the greed of the few=2E

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=2E Please excuse my brevity=2E