Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 02:08:29 -0400
From:      cliff ainsworth III <cliff@cliffsworld.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   help help I'm being repressed

Morning all,

enterprise class newbie users here....

We have been trying to install FreeBSD for many weeks now. We know it is a
very easy install as we have read it many a time. So we know that it is
probably something very simple that we are missing.

Machine 1 specs,

P-75, eide, 16 megs ram, 365 meg eide hard drive, Creative Labs 32PnP,
Creative Labs 8x cd-rom,

Ms-dos 6.22 is the only OS and it is not being used accept for this
installation. We are installing from a cd-rom. We have made a boot-disc to
install of off. We keep getting a message stating "no cd-rom devices found,
please check that your systems configuration is correct and that the cd-rom
drive is of a supported type. For more info, consult the hardware guide."
Do we need to reset any IRQS???. Just not really sure what we are missing
here. But we do know this should be the most straight forward of
installations.

Machine 2 specs,

P-200 pro, 32 megs ram, 3 physical eide hard drives, a 2 gig-wd0, 4 gig wd1
and 4 gig wd2., Windows NT 3.51, Windows Nt4.0 spk 3, Windows NT Server 4.0
and Win95 OSes on it., Creative Labs AWE64 Gold card, Teac 6x cd-rom,
Number Nine 128 bit series 1 video card.

After several attempts to get the Windoze NT loader to recognize the
attempted installation we gave up. Eventually went with System Commander
2.x and it recognized it fine. On this machine the cd-rom works fine and
installs fine but it doesn't run. We where getting one of the error
messages in the book (I cannot remember which one at the moment) We are
trying to install FreeBSD on the third physical hard drive "wd2". I am a
bit fuzzy on what we did as its been a few weeks at this point. We want to
leave the first two (wd0 and wd1) physical hard drives alone and leave all
of the microsloth programs there and put all the FreeBSD stuff on the third
drive which is completely empty. The Walnut Creek book really doesn't go
into multiple hard drive installations with multiple OSes on them. We feel
this is a simple problem, but at the moment not obvious. How do we set it,
I guess to boot off the c drive/wd0 and run off wd2. I believe I worded
that correctly, forgive me if I haven't.

We also have a genuine DEC VT100 and Vt220, I am sure can be hooked via LAN
with FreeBSD and I also heard they can be run through a PCs serial port.
Any ideas.

have a great week and thanx in advance

-cliff

CLIFFSWORLD homepage------------<http://www.cliffsworld.com>;
"Open Throttle" automotive e-zine-<http://www.openthrottle.com>;
Quake-Clan "RIP" homepage-------------<http://rip.internexus.net>;
p.o. box 1055, Maywood NJ, 07607-7055    fone 201-843-0936
PGP v5.0 public key available

      "never drive faster than your guardian angels can fly"