Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 14:29:08 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Joachim_Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Audit <audit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MAXHOSTNAMELEN

--eHhjakXzOLJAF9wJ

On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 06:00:31PM +0100, Joachim Str=F6mbergson wrote:

> By browsing the list, a few interesting ones pop out:
>=20
> ./contrib/amd/include/am_utils.h:#  define MAXHOSTNAMELEN 64
> ./contrib/nvi/common/recover.c:#define	MAXHOSTNAMELEN	1024
> ./contrib/traceroute/traceroute.c:#define MAXHOSTNAMELEN	64

I haven't touched these yet - need to send the fix back to the
vendors to fix at the source.

> ./contrib/tcsh/sh.h:#  define MAXHOSTNAMELEN 255
> ./libexec/rbootd/defs.h:#define	MAXHOSTNAMELEN 64
> ./libexec/telnetd/telnetd.c:#define	MAXHOSTNAMELEN 64
> ./usr.sbin/traceroute6/traceroute6.c:#define MAXHOSTNAMELEN	64

I've fixed these or sent the patch to the vendors.

Fortunately, none of them are actually problems for us, as they're all
of the form:

#ifndef MAXHOSTNAMELEN
#define MAXHOSTNAMELEN bogusvalue
#endif

but I've fixed these last four, plus the othr ones in telnet and telnetd.

> These are some of the definitions of the length that looks more or less
> wrong to me. There are more of these in the list. Then, as you can see
> in the list there are tons of MAXHOSTNAMELEN+1, *2 and all kinds of
> arithmetic. Looks rather messy and uncoordinated.

It's not a job of major importance, but these should be corrected at
some point..

Kris
--eHhjakXzOLJAF9wJ

--eHhjakXzOLJAF9wJ--