Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 2020 00:58:02 -0400
From:      Farhan Khan <farhan@farhan.codes>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Recognizing Matrix as an official channel

Hi,I am a long-time IRC user. I see that FreeBSD recognizes the EFnet and FreeNode channels as official, as listed here: https://wiki.freebsd.org/IRC/Channels. While they continues to serve the community, there are major limitations and I feel that it might be time to migrate towards a modern replacement.The "market" of communication going forward is clearly shifting towards more feature-ful protocols, such as Slack, Discord or Gitter. The only open-source and viable option in this class of systems that I see is Matrix. There is an active FreeBSD channel located at #FreeBSD:matrix.org, along with a few other BSD-related channels.I propose making this an officially recognized channel for FreeBSD communication and encouraging migration from IRC to Matrix.Thank you--Farhan KhanPGP Fingerprint: 1312 89CE 663E 1EB2 179C 1C83 C41D 2281 F8DA C0DE