Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 12:25:43 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        "Jason Halbert" <jason@jason-n3xt.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.d

"Jason Halbert" <jason@jason-n3xt.org> writes:
> How do you write an rc.d script to start stuff under a specific user
> and not root?  I have a ircd and some of my friends run eggdrop bots
> and I'd like them to restart under their user name.

You can probably use su(1) or sudo(1) (the latter is in the ports).
That said, I think it's a bad idea: your friends will be coming up to
you to change this stuff when they need to stop running something or
start running something new; surely you have better things to do :-).

A better solution would be to have each of them set up cron to try to
start their processes every 10 or 20 minutes.  This way, not only do
they get restarted if the machine boots up, but also if they die
accidently.  For more information, see cron(8) and crontab(1).  If you
do this, however, be careful about checking whether the process is
already running, or you'll end up with one process for every user that
did this for every 20 minutes your computer is running.

Hope this helps

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org