Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:00:32 GMT
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/162991: java/openjdk6 fails to build

The following reply was made to PR ports/162991; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To: Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org,
 bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:50:12 -0400

 On Monday 12 March 2012 11:26 am, Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:
 > Jung-uk Kim wrote:
 > > On Thursday 08 March 2012 02:50 am, Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:
 > >>   Ok, I found time to investigate it.
 > >>
 > >>   Everything is about arch guessing. java/openjdk7 substitutes
 > >> amd64 for x86_64 while java/openjdk6 doesn't. I just added
 > >> missing bits from correspondent java/openjdk7 patch.
 > >>
 > >>   Redports build:
 > >> https://redports.org/buildarchive/20120307160255-45601
 > >>
 > >>   Patch attached.
 > >
 > > Sorry but it doesn't make any sense.  I guess you are patching
 > > this:

 > > # Platform settings specific to BSD
 > > ifeq ($(PLATFORM), bsd)
 > >    OS_VERSION := $(shell uname -r)
 > >    # Arch and OS name/version
 > >    mach := $(shell uname -m)
 > >    archExpr = case "$(mach)" in \
 > >                  i[3-9]86) \
 > >                      echo i586 \
 > >                      ;; \
 > >                  *) \
 > >                      echo $(mach) \
 > >                      ;; \
 > >        esac
 > >    ARCH        := $(shell $(archExpr) )
 > >    ARCH_FAMILY := $(ARCH)
 > >
 > > Unless "UNAME_m" environment variable is set, there is no way
 > > that this patch does anything at all.
 > >
 > > % uname -r
 > > 10.0-CURRENT
 > > % uname -m
 > > amd64
 > > % env UNAME_m=x86_64 uname -m
 > > x86_64
 > >
 > > I believe OpenJDK7 added it because some BSDs (e.g.,
 > > DragonFlyBSD) return x86_64 for "uname -m".
 >
 > So why it ends up in our port and not in DragonFlyBSD's pkgsrc?

 OpenJDK7 patchset is shared with other BSDs:

 https://wikis.oracle.com/display/OpenJDK/BSDPort

 OpenJDK6 patchset was based on early OpenJDK7 patchsets and it may or
 may not build on other platforms.  I am 99% sure it won't build on
 DragonFlyBSD/x86-64, BTW.

 > > BTW, does "make DISABLE_MAKE_JOBS=yes" make any difference?
 >
 > Actually after successful build I can't reproduce this issue
 > anymore. I seem to miss some bits of data so I'll try to retest in
 > clean environment.

 These parallel build problems are very hard to reproduce.  Actually, I
 was never able to reproduce it myself.

 Jung-uk Kim