Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 1995 05:39:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux emul, QMAGIC libs

> sos@FreeBSD.ORG stands accused of saying:
> >> Linux emulation uses the standard kernel execve, but its own code for shared
> >> libraries :
> >
> > Ahem, no it does not, if the system finds out its a Linux binary it will
> > call the linux image activator, not the "standard" one..
> > (Or at least it was so when I originally wrote the code  :) )
>
> As indeed it is now; I was following the wrong lead 8(
>
> OK, so, now I have your head out of your hole 8), can you explain why
> Linux seems to have the organisation of ZMAGIC and QMAGIC backwards wrt.
> the way FreeBSD does it?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by backwards ??

> And any suggestions as to why ld.so has to be ZMAGIC?  I presume that
> the libraries have to be ZMAGIC because a ZMAGIC ld.so is too old to
> understand QMAGIC libraries, or am I off with the fairies here?

Hmm, I have to go check the code  (both linux & ours) to speculate
on this one, my best guess would be that the Linux ZMAGIC shlibs
is a bit different than the "normal" ZMAGIC format, and therefore
fails (that would also be in the linux spirit: close but not quite)

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.