Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 1995 13:20:52 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "release candidates" floppies, quick comment.

> Ok, just ran an install using the 'latest' floppies (midday monday my
> time).

Ack.  I'm just sitting here trying to figure out which way the time
goes in OZ and looking at the world-time function on my watch which
shows me that it's 0:51 on Tuesday there! :-)

In the future, it would be more helpful if you could strip the
Updates: line off the README file for the kernel you're grabbing and
include it with your messages.  Then we all know which boot floppies
we're talking about! :-)

I'm sorry for the rapidly-transmuting floppies, BTW, but I decided to
simply go to "data dump mode" where people can periodically poll my
latest set and see what they think.  There's no fixed set of test
releases, I just keep fixing and dropping the latest example of my
work in the UPDATES directory, ammending the README each time so that
folks can see (more or less) what I've fixed.

> - The timezone bug is (obviously) still there.

I don't think this will be fixed for 2.0.5R, sorry.

> - sysinstall can't find xf86config (it _was_ installed OK though).

I think I've just fixed this.

> - When the post-install cleanup is being done (before the 'all done'
>   message is displayed, the last 'extracting' message should be
>   replaced with a 'cleaning up message'. (nit)

I think this has been changed a different way.

> - I'm not getting a 'press any key to reboot' message from the
>   kernel at the end of the install.  I do from subsequently build
>   kernels, and if I press a key, I get a reboot, but no message. Odd.

This is a known bug that probably won't be fixed for 2.0.5R.

> - LATE BREAKING DATAPOINT!  Just rebooted my 205A install :
>    /etc/fstab contains    /dev/sd0s4e   /usr   ufs rw 1 1
>    but there/s no /dev/sd0s4e.  Mounting /dev/sd0e works, though.
>    Previous floppies got this right, so this is (AFAIK) a new bug.
>    MAKEDEV sd0s4 fixes this, and /dev/sd0s4e mounts correctly.
>    (but MAKEDEV uses chgrp, which is in /usr/bin... 8)

This should be now fixed - please try the latest.

					Jordan