Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 1998  6:04 -0600
From:      "brianmcg" <bmcgroarty@high-voltage.com>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SLOW ethernet send...

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Phillip Salzman wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, SnowFox wrote:
>
>> I've got a 2.2.7-RELEASE box with a generic NE2000 card.
>>
>> For some reason, sending is really slow; approx 120-130k/sec on an FTP
>> file, perhaps even slower on POP. Receiving is fast, however.
>
> What type of cable do you have on it?  Is it coax?  Coax
>is really slow.  Receiving should be faster than sending, as NE2000's
>are not the best card.  I received pretty good rates (900k/sec) when
>I had a pair of Realtek PCI NE2000 clones.

The cable is twisted pair. Installing Win '98 on the same hardware
gets me a pretty good transmission rate.

>> FTP transmissions happen in small bursts at very regular intervals -
>> about 3/4 sec apart
>
> Check your MTU, are there collisions?

No visible collisions, the MTU is 1500 - FreeBSD's default. I haven't overridden
this.

>> Any clues as to what could be causing this?
>
> Bad wire?
>
> WHat brand is it?

Good suggestion - I tried a different wire, but no dice - I still get the same
problem. Thing is, if I launch an xterm or open a telnet session,
typing is still perfectly responsive through the slow transfer, and 'top'
says the CPU's staying 90%+ idle, so I really suspect a configuration
issue, though I haven't the foggiest where to look.

The card is a D-Link 10Mbps Combo 16-Bit Ethernet ISA

The box is:

486/66 DEC Server (chuckle)
EISA bus
24 megs RAM
Adaptec 1540(?) VLB (ahc0)
Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM VLB
D-Link 10Mbps ISA (PnP off - locked at 0x280/9)
PS/2 Bus Mouse & kbd

Again, this happens with a 10 or a 100/10 Linksys hub, and the other two
machines speak to each other (or to this box running another OS) right against
the 10mbit barrier.