Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 1997 07:52:39 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make this a relese coordinator decision (was Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued)

On Sun, Aug 03, 1997 at 08:23:31PM -0700, David Greenman wrote:
> Jordan:
> >I think you're missing my fundamental point.  Whether TCL goes or
> >stays is IRRELEVANT in the long run.  We could take it out right now
> >and that would solve the short-term crisis, no doubt making you happy
> >again in the bargain, but we'd still be on the wrong road.

Ok, what I didnīt know was, that you need tcl for your new
administration tool. ok.

> >As the old saying goes, those who do not learn from history are
> >condemned to repeat it, and we've been here before.  We'll be here
> >again, too.  I repeat: TCL is just the tip of the iceberg, and
> >-current hasn't even BEGUN to change at the rate which I forsee for
> >the next year.

Question. What do you forsee ? Or what would be your wishes for
the next year ? Without knowing the long term aims itīs difficult
to decide whatīs right or wrong.

First Davidīs decision really makes me wonder (see below), but
it seems, that your tool is such important for him, that he
decides to keep tcl, although some (many?) people complain.

> >Whatever his decision is, I'll respect it.

Ok true.

> Another chance to architect people's principles...I can hardly wait. Seems
> quite appropriate for a Sunday - I just need to get one of those collection
> plates (and money envelopes) so I can profit, too. :-)

;-)

>    Tcl stays in /usr/src for now, but it needs to be kept up to date; same
> for perl. If Jordan doesn't have "setup" (written in tcl) ready for 3.0,
> then tcl will be yanked prior to the 3.0 release (and made into a port).

Ok. Question ... Is TCL 8.x the TCL release that does the job
right for you ? Could we all agree to try to fix the port collection
for supporting this TCL version in -current once more ?

As Steve Passe wrote, the ports collection is a real ītime saverī
even for -current folks. Most committers run -current.

Andrey said, he wants to keep ports-current.

Since itīs only tcl/tk ... can somebody tell me, how difficult
it would be, to change the tcl/tk ports, so that it lives peacefully
together with TCL 8.0.

IF it is really necessary for Jordan and _FreeBSD_ itself, to have
this tool in the base tree, could we agree on this and take it
as necessary, to fix the ports collection ?

> In any case, Satoshi is and always has been in charge of the ports
> tree and whatever he wants to do with it (within reason :-)) is
> his decision.

And the user / committers ? ;-) Satoshi then sitting between the
chairs ;-)

> Does this cover the issue completely?

Ok, seems to be, we have to live with it ;-)

But then a question to Satoshi ... Could we hack the ports
collection, that it supports -current again ?

As you know, Im writing articles about FreeBSD and its necessary
for me to run -current otherwise I wouldnt have to tell people new
stories about FreeBSD.

But a -current where tk based applications are currently broken is
really a pain. And this seems to be only the beginning of an
incompatibility party ;-)

It would really be fine to have the ītime saverī -ports running
again for -current.

David, donīt get me wrong, I accept your decision, but then
my strategy now have to change, to try to convince Satoshi,
that the extra work might be worth doing it.

Unfortunately I havenīt hacked tcl/tk setup related programs
in the past, so I canīt decide, how difficult it will be,
to fix ports for -current now.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD