Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 19:27:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, brian@Awfulhak.org, mattc@rfcnet.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why /var/log/ppp.log

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Or if it supports transparent proxy, then "libproxy"?

I like the term "packet aliasing", since that is what the library does in
its most general sense.  The ifconfig type of alias is really "interface
address aliasing".

Possibly libalias could be changed to "libpktalias" or "libpacketalias".
The library really only operates on packets.  It has to be integrated with
other programs which feed it packets to rewrite.

Changing the library name is easy.  Switching from ppp -alias to ppp
-pktalias or something else will cause alot of problems for the average
user.

> > Personally, I think the ifconfig alias option is equally confusing and
> > should be called a secondary or virtual ip address.  I think "secondary"
> > would actually be the most appropriate term rather than "alias" for
> > ifconfig.
>
> I agree here, though a "secondary" option implies a third would require
> "tertiary".  8-|.

I guess the idea is that there can be only one "primary" address but many
"secondary" addresses.  The word is being used more like a priority than
an enumeration.

Charles Mott