Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2006 23:42:58 +0100
From:      FreeBSD Prospect <mailings.freebsd@o0l0o.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   ReinerSCT cyberjack pinpad USB (0x300) Smartcard-Reader

Hi!

I have two of these devices, which work in Gentoo Linux using Harald Welte's
open-source driver
(http://support.reiner-sct.de/downloads/LINUX/V2.0.9/ctapi-cyberjack-2.0.9.tar.bz2).

I have an A-TRUST signature card, and I can login to my bank's online-banking,
and I was hoping to use the certificate on that card also for signing /
encrypting emails and documents (www.seccommerce.com has some free JAVA
utilities on their website to access such a smartcard, and to digitally sign
documents, for which the software can also be downloaded for free).

I already tried to contact Harald Welte concerning the possibility, to use
that smartcard-reader in FreeBSD as well, but unfortunately I did not get a
reply by now.

This actual GNU/Linux driver is working without a kernel module, accessing the
unit over the usbfs in userspace. Therefor I thought, this would make it
easier for porting it over to FreeBSD, but unfortunately I found the
following comment on Harald Welte's blog
(http://gnumonks.org/~laforge/weblog/linux/cyberjack/index.html):

----- cut -----
One minor problem though is that both cyberjacks need asynchronous delivery of
interrupt URB's, a feature that is not available by libusb. The libausb
wrapper library that I developed for this purpose is specific to linux
usbdevio, so the userspace driver won't be working on other libusb supported
platforms such as *BSD :(
----- cut -----

I am not a coder, so I can not tell, if this makes a FreeBSD port impossible,
or not (maybe Harald just isn't familiar with *BSD enough).

Does nobody here have such a smartcard-reader? I think it should be quite
popular here in Europe, because it is pretty cheap (I even got my two devices
for free from my bank), they have MS Windows and Linux drivers available, and
digital signatures will get pretty important in the near future (here in
Austria it will be mandatory for invoices sent online with the beginning of
next year).

--
Sincerely,
Michael

A FreeBSD Prospect, who is actually using Gentoo Linux