Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:27:18 +0100
From:      "Juan L. Freniche" <jlfreniche@acm.org>
To:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Passing Parameters to Remote Printers

I have several FreeBSD (2.2.7) boxes in the same LAN shared with
the print server (which is HP-UX). I have defined all necessary
printers in FreeBSD as remote, being the remote host the HP-UX
one.

However, the HP-UX supports controlling the local printer by
setting some options in the lp command (yes, lpr in HP-UX is
"lp"). Examples:

lp -d hp5p -oeconoon  -oduplex  -odpi300 -oyb some_file
lp -d hp5p -oeconooff -osimplex -odpi600 -onb some_file
lp -d hp5p -oeconooff -oduplex  -odpi300 -onb some_file
lp -d hp5p -oeconooff -oduplex  -odpi300 -oyb some_file
lp -d hp5p -oeconooff -osimplex -odpi600 -oyb some_file

where hp5p is the printer (attached to HP-UX).

The FreeBSD printcap relevant part is:

hp5p|ps|remote postscript printer:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:sh:sc:rs:lp=:\
        :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd/hp5p:\
        :rm=hp-ux:\
        :rp=hp5p:

And this is working if the lpr command (in FreeBSD) has
FreeBSD-lpr-options:

lpr -h -P hp5p some_file

However lpr displays error messages with

lpr -P hp5p -oeconoon  -oduplex  -odpi300 -oyb some_file

which is obvious as it does not support -o

The question is that I need to pass -o parameters to the remote
printer.
How can this be done?

--
Juan L. Freniche