Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:12:46 -0500
From:      Sam <sam@pcuf.fi>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   cpu class & features

I'm writing an application that needs info on the machine cpu architectur=
e,
the cpu class, and the cpu features.

The machine cpu architecture seems to be available through
sysctl CTL_HW HW_MACHINE_ARCH. However, I can't find any mention
of what string values this returns. Is there a list of possible current v=
alues
somewhere?

For cpu class, I can't seem to find anything. The include file
<machine/cputypes.h> has the kind of info I'm looking for defined (for i3=
86),
but I can't seem to find if it is available for userland programs.

CPU features seem to be defined in <machine/specialreg.h> (for i386), but
I can't find if they are available for userland programs either. I suppos=
they could be parsed from dmesg, but that would be a pretty hacky way
of doing it. Is there any better way?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sam, sam@pcuf.fi