Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 1995 00:34:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, jkh@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Paul Richards: sysconfig routed setting

> > other routing protocol.  If you are not a router, you have no business
> > listening to them.  HOSTS DO NOT NEED ROUTING INFORMATION.
>
> I agree with Garrett on this one. You only need routed/gated if you have
> than one interface and you are a router.
 ^more
Pretty hard to be router with out more than 1 interface :-)

> If you have a single segment
> you don't need a default route and if you have multiple segments and/or
> connections (PPP, SLIP, whatever) then you always have a router to put
> a defaultroute to.

Evedintly no one has read my posting about more than one router and
what happens if you use defaultroutes and the ``default'' router who
would normally provide ``better'' redirects has crashed.  Also some
one poined out the performance side issue and all those uneeded
redirects, unnessary use of a router is bad for the router as well,
another thing I have first hand experince with.

Nope, sorry, I have done way way to many reliable network setups and
know that ``defaultroute'' is an evil ugly thing to do.  Ever try
to slap in a spare box at a different IP address to be the emergency
router and have to go change defaultroutes on 200 hosts so you can
debug the broken router but keep people up and running, can you
say ``not fun!!!'.

Look, this is all very simple really, routed -q works today for all most
every one, and has for a very very long time.  I know it is ugly, RIP
sucks, it should and WILL dies.

We don't have the elegant solution yet, but should some day soon.
Until then just leave it alone, don't make it worse.