Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 15:44:48 +1000
From:      Steven Honson <shonson@planetquake.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au
Subject:   Re: ICQ

I use ICQ behind a FreeBSD gateway which is running NAT without any
problems what so ever, my gateway is just a freebsd 3.2 machine running ppp
with the
-alias switch, and both me and my sister use icq on different windows
machines on the LAN at the same time with no problems.
My ICQ client is set to the "Im using a permenant Internet Connection
(LAN)" option and "I am not behind a Firewall of Proxy" is selected.
If you have any more questions or need  help setting it up feel free to
contact me.

---------------------------------------
Steven Honson
Internet Technologist & Consultant
Taroona High School, Australia
shonson@hubbub.ths.tased.edu.au

At 03:21 PM 9/6/99 +1000, you wrote:
>Does anyone have experience with ICQ in either CLI mode FreeBSD, or in
>Windows LAN boxes accessing the internet through a BSD gateway.
>
>One of the guys here explained how the security stuff in BSD stops ICQ
working like it does in Windows and suggested I use SOCKS locally if I really
>need to ge tit running. Judging from the postings its a pain to get
working on LAN boxes, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with
running a version of ICQ in BSD itself and could advise how to avoid
excessive problems getting it working