Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:25:34 -0500
From:      "Bill O'Hanlon" <wmo@rebma.pro-ns.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: D-Link DWL-650 At OfficeMax

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:43:21AM -0600, Paul Hart wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Tony Toole wrote:
>
> > The DWL-650 I just purchased week or so ago for testing is Prism 2.5 based
> > (1.3.4 f/w), and is 3.3v.  Works well under FreeBSD's wi driver.
>
> I'd be careful here.  Read this thread from last month:
>
>     http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=203079+0+archive/2002/freebsd-mobile/20020630.freebsd-mobile
>
> I picked up two of these DWL-650 cards at OfficeMax a couple of weeks ago
> and they both exhibit the problem with the wi(4) driver in 4.6-RELEASE as
> described above (but I saw it trigger when starting up dstumbler from the
> bsd-airtools package).
>
> My cards and all of the cards in stock at the three OfficeMax stores I
> surveyed are the PRISM2.5 + H/W J3 + F/W 1.3.5 variety.  Oh, and the
> $39.99 price at the stores here seems to be the regular price, no rebates
> or sales involved.
>
> Paul Hart

I see the exact same thing that Paul mentions; dstumbler will trigger that
"busy bit won't clear" stuff.

Also, I found that having WEP enabled triggered the problem during big
transfers.  With WEP disabled, I don't trigger the problem at all.

I experimented with upgrading the firmware.  I had bought two DWL-650s
at the same time, but one was upgradeable and the other was not.

It sounds like there is a lot of variation in these cards.

-Bill