Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:45:44 +0200
From:      Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server orDesktopOS?)

"Marc G. Fournier" wrote:

> The only changes made to RELENG_4_7 (in the past month) have been for
> critical security related issues (ie. the bind8 vulnerability) ...

If in the past month that is what was only needed in order to maintain
stability then I personally have no objection to that. I actually like
it very much. It would make me very jumpy if I had a tested well behaved
production server and every so often had to patch it with not so very
critical updates. However, it would make me a lot jumpier if I had a need
for a critical update and none was available, but from what I read so far,
it doesn't happen every so often.

> -STABLE and -CURRENT appear to be the only ones that are actively
> maintained ... I definitely only play with -CURRENT on my laptop, as I
> don't need it for anything critical ... I do run -STABLE on a dozen or so
> desktop and server machines at the University without problems, but the
> most loaded one is my internet gateway, so there isn't much in the way of
> 'non-kernel' software running on that ... I'm a little nervous, now, for
> bringing our new mail server online / to full capacity, since there will
> be >4000 users hitting it, but we'll see what happens ...

I now what you mean. This is what I also plan on doing with a few critical
task servers with pretty much the same amount of load you have in one of
them if not even more. I am nervous myself after reading all this. I guess
the only thing that would convince me would be a real time test with a good
and fast failover/backup solution just in case things get messy. It basically
is as you said though, "we'll see what happens ..."

Regards,

Lefteris Tsintjelis