Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 1995 11:18:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc ordering hosed

> Where would you suggest we start it?
>
> I'm not at all adverse to suggestions here, folks, this IS a group
> project and if you don't like something I'm doing or have a better
> suggestion then please, SPEAK UP!
>
> Rod certainly hasn't been shy in doing so and I've already responded
> to quite a bit of his feedback by making changes.  All I know is that
> /etc has been an evil mess for a long time and I'm finally trying to
> do something about it.  I'm not egotistical enough to think that
> everything I'm doing is necessarily the *right* thing, but I do know
> that change where /etc is concerned is good.  If I only start the ball
> rolling on this and then hand off to someone with more "vision" of how
> /etc should work then I'll be only too happy - really!
>
> Without triggering the old SYSV rc vs BSD rc debate, of course!
> We already *know* where that one leads! :-)

Hi Jordan,

I would like to suggest that you at least glance at what Sun has done
with SunOS.  Their strategy, while perhaps not perfect, did manage to
address a significant number of concerns simultaneously.  A Sun can
boot diskless, dataless, /usrless, et al.

If needed, I could provide you with access to this information - but I
suspect you already have access somewhere..

... Joe