Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:18:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6 -> 2.1.7 & No bin distribution

On Sat, 22 Mar 1997, Barry Masterson wrote:

> 	Couldn't extract the following distributions:
> 	bin catpages

That's the first time I've seen that from a CD install.  What method did
you use to upgrade?  Which option(s) did you select?

> 1)  /etc has permissions of 700 (drwx------). I changed this to
>     755, since 'ls -l' as a normal user displayed user/group ID's
>     in numeric form. And the man pages could not be displayed.
>     Chmod to 755 has corrected this.

I've been seeing this a lot.  I'll make a note of it, thanks for finding
that.

> My questions are:
> 1) Should I have been able to extract the bin distribution
>    from the 2.1.7 Security Release CD during the upgrade?

Yes, assuming your CDROM was supported and working properly.  It would
have helpd to peek at the debug console output from ALT-F2 while this was
happening.

> 2) Whats going on with the two different time stamps?

Your timezone may be messed up.  Try running 'tzsetup'.

> 3) Are the permissions 700 for /etc a new security feature? Or is 755
>    the correct setting?

Ours is 755.