Date:      02 Oct 2001 16:12:20 -0500
From:      James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>
To:        "Mit Rowe" <mitayai@dreaming.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD needs to awake and come out of SERVER only market!

"Mit Rowe" <mitayai@dreaming.org> writes:

> I wouldn't use FreeBSD for a desktop if my life depended on it.

Yet for me at home, FreeBSD _is_ my main desktop. I use WinXX for
gaming only.

> It's not what is was designed for, and quite frankly would likely take away
> from the reasons it *was* designed for: a nice, solid, dependable and
> reliable networked operating system.

I can't speak for the designers, but I think it works just great for
both uses. I have one machine running as an internet gateway/print
server/database server/whatever else I think of server and one as a
desktop for email/net surfing/writing/et cetera.

A great strength of the system -- in my opinion -- is the flexibility
available. You can configure it to suit your needs. So why exclude
entire domains of use?

The original poster appears to be a troll anyway, so I'm not getting
upset. The core team and committers know what they're doing.

Jim