Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 02:25:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <root@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RTP tools (was: Re: Remote and Voice control)

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Petri Helenius wrote:

> Luigi Rizzo writes:
>  > What I usually do in this case is to have a small-resolution mode in
>  > XF86Config (e.g. 400x300 etc.) so when I want to see full screen video
>  > (with tv/fxtv/vic at least) I switch video mode (with CTRL_ALT-+) to
>  > one matching the size of the window I want to watch.
>
> Yes, my question would be can this be done from the application? That
> is run a "fullscreen.c" and then it would do this trick and fire up
> MPEG-TV or whatever.

fxtv appears to be able to do this - I haven't investigated how
it does it.

>  >
>  > The of course move a couple of meters away from your screen :)
>  >
> Yes. I've been looking at the TV-out cards but haven't decided on any
> of them yet. However since my TV has RGB input, would anyone know if
> XFree can be tuned to small enough resolution with interlacing to be
> displayed on the TV?

I have used the following XF86Config entry with a TV-frequency
(fixed frequency, about 20 years old!) monitor:

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier      "Primary Monitor"
   VendorName      "Unknown"
   ModelName       "TV-Freq"
   HorizSync       15.62
   VertRefresh     50-55
# 480x300 @ 72 Hz, 48.0 kHz hsync
   Modeline  "480x480"   19.5 960  1008  1168  1248   480  491  493  625
Interlace Composite
   Modeline  "480x256"   19.5 960  1008  1168  1248   256  280  285  312
Composite
EndSection

The picture quality was very poor, but I believe this was a problem with
the voltage levels required by this particular monitor; there was
certainly no problem with sync.  Sometime I will get around to building
some buffer boards: this monitor has separate horiz/vertical sync inputs,
but needs 5V levels on the R/G/B lines.  I believe my TV's SCART
connector is compatible with VGA output levels on the R/G/B, but it needs
composite sync - so either way a small amount of external circuitry is
required.