Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 14:34:33 +0100
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ata: Mount root failure: 6

Thus spake Mike Smith (msmith@FreeBSD.ORG):

> I still haven't seen the plaintiff actually bother to transcribe the few
> relevant lines out of his startup log, so I'm not too highly motivated to
> worry about this in return, however ENXIO definitively means "the device
> you're trying to mount as root was not probed".  Since it works with
> 'wd', and the 'ad' driver registers a 'wd' device as well, the actual
> options for dysfunction are pretty small.

Ok, I scrolled up and wrote the stuff down by hand (args! :)

Here are the messages regarding ata and hdd's:

ata-pci0: <VIA 82C586 ATA controller> at device 7.1 on pci0
ata-pci0: Busmastering DMA supported
ata0 at 0x01f0 irq 14 on ata-pci0
ata1 at 0x0170 irq 15 on ata-pci0
ad0: <IBM-DHEA-36481/HP6OA20C> ATA-3 disk at ata0 as master
ad0: 6197 MB (12692736 sectors), 12592 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
ad0: 16 secs/int, 1 depth queue, UDMA33

HTH,

Alex

--