Date:      Mon, 21 May 2012 21:51:19 +0300
From:      George Kontostanos <gkontos.mail@gmail.com>
To:        Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PHP 5.4.0 : lang/php54

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 21, 2012 4:17 PM, "George Kontostanos" <gkontos.mail@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I just wanted to understand why did php54 became the default php port.
>>
>> Considering that the majority of my clients want to stick with php53
>> with the susosin patch, I can't blame them, it is really very annoying
>> that we have to schedule a down time window so that we migrate from
>> php to php53.
>>
>> Because currently there is no other way to do it unless you delete all
>> your php5 packages and recompile them again under php53. Sure, the web
>> server will still work even if you delete all php5 packages as long as
>> apache doesn't restart. But there are many applications who make
>> certain php cli calls. Those will not work!
>>
>> So, my question to the maintainers is, was there a particular reason
>> that made you take this decision?
>>

> When would have been a better time?
>
> Chris

As a rule of thumb, the best time to mark a port as being the default
is when there is a demand for it.

As a side note, given the fact that FreeBSD is and should be the
number 1 choice for webservers we have to make sure that before we
proceed to such a major change we have:

1) A documented upgrade path
2) A documented roll back path

Currently, if we want to stay up to date, we have to either nuke php5
and reinstall php53 or nuke php5 and reinstall php54.
This requires down time work and effort. I would never complain if
there was a security issue that had to make me recompile the full php
suite. But now, I have to explain to many customers why I need down
time in order for them to continue using the php53 version.

Cheers
--
George Kontostanos
Aicom telecoms ltd