Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:00:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no>
To:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Minimum kernel configuration for IDE drives on 4.4-STABLE

Hello all,

What is the minimum kernel configuration for IDE drives on 4.4-STABLE?

I have tried a kernel configuration with:

device ata
device atadisc

and with:

device ata0 at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device ata1 at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device ata
device atadisk

It seems I need to include almost the entire SCSI subsystem to make my
kernel recognize my IDE based hard drives. Is this really necessary?

Relevant dmesg:

ata0 at port 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 irq 14 on isa0
ad0: 504 MB <DSAA-3540> [1024/16/63] at ata0-master BIOSPIO
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

I know I have raised this question before, but I cannot find this
mentioned anywhere in the handbook nor the FAQ. Maybe this problem is
specific to my particular machine.