Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 19:14:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, fredriks@mcs.com
Subject:   Re: kern/1245: scsi tape driver write-protect and eject handling is broken

As J Wunsch wrote...

> As Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > Something like the following:
> >
> > - mt should have a way to find out if a tape is SCSI or not
> >   (ioctl that works on SCSI dev but not on other tapes ?)
> > - mt should have a way to get inquiry string from the tape
> > - mt should have a 'tapecap' file to know what is valid for a particular
> >   drive, compression and all. It can now also display the density settings
> >   that are non-SCSI-2 standard in an ASCII strings iso in hex.
>
> I don't mind you implementing it. 8-)

I guessed that one :) But you left off my last remark about 'gross
overkill'.

I only run the R FreeBSDs, not current. This makes hacks on -current
stuff even more unlikely.

But kidding aside: isn't the most simple and elegant(?) way to solve
the issue getting rid of the density checks in st.c?

Wilko