Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:16:35 +0000
From:      rob_spellberg <emailrob@emailrob.com>
To:        fbsd_chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HP Support Fun

i'm happy for you, mario, because i helped pay for it.

i bought a 4m+ in 1995_09 to go with my first pc,
   a compaq of some kind or another
   built around a 486_dx4 and eight [ count 'em ] megs of core.
[ of course, even with borland's "turbo_c++_suite",
     dos_6.2 did not enhance my coding experience;
     at least, not after that vax-11/780 running bsd_4.2
     [ bert.eecs.uic.edu; it also had eight megs of core ]
     that got me through grad school, but, i digress.
]
the thing worked so well, i still use it,
   although it's no longer alone.

anyway [ end of 1997, i think ],
   i ordered a bunch of "technical" books from hp.
you know the ones:  pcl_5, pjl, gl/2.
[ wowie_zowie, none of the line printers i've known
     ever did THIS!!!
]
i recall that it was in the neighborhood of $90, with sales tax.
unfortunately, i included my local tax,
   when all they wanted was my state base rate
   [ their info didn't make this clear ].

so, i overpaid by about a buck.

now, i think in terms of keeping my customers happy.
it's good word_of_mouth public_relations.
if i was as big as they are,
   i know that my check_cutting costs are
   going to be as low as those of anyone.
the invoice should have a line:  "refund [ check enclosed ]".
[ iirc, the smallest check i've ever received was for a dime.
   i --have-- seen smaller.
]
at the very least, enclose a credit memo, whydoncha.

but, hp is one of the elite;
   we all know about the arrogance of elites.
seared into my brain, ever since the day the product arrived,
   are the words i found on the invoice/packing_list:

     price adjustment

the word "euphemism" comes to mind.

it's a shame it didn't happen later.
then, i could blame carly fiorina.

ciao.

rob spellberg
woodstock, illinois

Mario Reif wrote:
> Two years ago i had a similar situation with the HP support :-)
>
> My DDS-DAT Drive was broken and i called the HP support. The HP Girl was
> really friendly and asked me a lot of questions - maybe 5-10 minutes or
> so (everything about the drive, serials, type of defect...) - and here
> it comes! The last question from the HP girl: "Is this product hardware
> or software?" .... silence - for some seconds on my side, then
> "Hardware..."
>
> But i got a new drive the next day for free from HP!
>

> Michael Hernandez schrieb:
>
>> This conversation just took place moments ago.

[ snip ]