Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2000 06:02:12 +0900
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@geocities.co.jp>
To:        ache@nagual.pp.ru
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGML->HTML: entities translation is broken for non-Latin1 charsets

"Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru> wrote
 in <20000305230729.A90274@nagual.pp.ru>:

> On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 04:58:49AM +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
> >  This depends on which program is used for building HTML docs.
> >  While FreeBSD Handbook and FAQ are processed by jade,
> >  web pages(www.FreeBSD.org) are done by nsgmls.
>
> Can web pages be processed with jade too? It will be an easies way to fix.

 No, it can't unfortunately. Process of nsgmls is quite different
 from jade's one.

> >  I think there is no option to fix it and
> >  it is unavoidable as long as HTMLlat1.ent is used.
>
> Is there the way to replace default DTD from command line? For non-latin1
> charsets "fixed" DTDs can be used as workaround.

 Perhaps it is impossible from command line.  Alternatively,
 try to add the following line to "includes.sgml" and
 build the HTML files.

   <!ENTITY nbsp SDATA "[nbsp  ]">

 This overrides the HTMLlat1 entity.

 # Actually, Japanese-doc(uses 8bit character code) has
 # the same problem.

 In addition, there seems some "&#160;" in www/ru/index.sgml.
 They should be replaced with "&nbsp;".