Date:      Sun, 03 Mar 2002 23:49:34 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bob88@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        alexkwan@pacific.net.hk
Cc:        higgsr@rpi.edu, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install FreeBSD snapshots on a notebook w/o floppy drive

higgsr@rpi.edu wrote:

> Go here
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES

I don't think ISO images are generated for the daily snapshots.

If your laptop has network connectivity, you should be able to install
a snapshot by taking the 2.9 MB boot.flp image from the floppies
directory of the snapshot, and using it to generate a bootable CD.
Pretty much any CD creation software should be able to do that.  The
bootable part of a CD is simply a floppy image, so when it asks for
the boot file, give it boot.flp.

If you download the entire snapshot directory structure and burn
it to the CD, you ought to be able to install it all from CD, but
that is likely to be tedious.  If you just use the boot.flp image it
can get the rest via FTP when you do the actual install.

You might want to put a copy of the Handbook on the CD, and any
other documentation files that may be handy to have on hand.

- Bob