Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 00:10:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      John F Cuzzola <vdrifter@ocis.ocis.net>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   pipsecd+ipfw fwd

Hello all,
I'm using pipsecd from the ports collection and it seems to do the job
(for my purposes anyway). I've noticed however that when configuring the
tunnel device the author recommends a MTU of 1440. Recently I added a
firewall rule like:

ipfw add fwd <virtual ip address of tunnel> ip from <private net> to any

to force the next hop through the tunnel. Well it didn't work, it did for
small amounts of data but not larger ones which lead me to suspect a path
MTU discovery problem. I reconfigured the tunnel device for a MTU of 1500
and it works great. My question is when using ipfw fwd what happens if the
size of the packet exceeds the MTU of the device? When IPFW FWDing does
ICMP 3.4 messages get sent back for large packets whos dont fragment
bit is set? or does that packet just get dropped? It
would appear the icmp 3.4 message doesn't get sent back but that could be
because of the pipsecd port.

Kindof curious & thanks,
John