Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 1997 18:02:51 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk (Søren Schmidt)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2G SCSI disks?

Søren Schmidt stands accused of saying:

> > Only the 2G disk we were planning to use (the IBM DORS32160U) is no
> > longer available.  In fact, none of the 2G disks that we normally use
> > are (no Seagate Hawk units either).
>
> Yeah, I know, we they have the same problem at work :(, I don't think
> they found anything usefull yet, so they use 4G disks instead...

There's a replacement allegedly coming, but "not yet".

> > Failing that, has anyone done anything with the new Maxtor
> > "DiamondMax" disks?  Or have any suggestions for IDE disks that are
> > likely to come close to the performance of an Ultra-SCSI disk?
>
> Hmm, I've looked at the 5.1G Maxtor disk, and I'm going to get one
> as soon as my limited budget allows me to, for use as a test drive
> for DMA EIDE transfers. From what I've heard it should provide decent
> performance in that configuration, and it priced about half of a
> equivalent SCSI drive, that should make it a pretty god buy..

Well, I've bitten the bullet; we'll have two of the 5.1GB Maxtors on
Tekram P5H0 (HX) boards by the end of the week.  One will be headed to
the customer RSN, the other may be around for a few months before it
goes (don't have a timetable for it yet).