Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:59:16 +0530
From:      "\"\"A. Joseph Koshy\"\"" <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        nik@blueberry.co.uk, jfieber@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrade tutorial

Hi,

Thanks to Nik for the excellent tutorial.  I have some small observations to
make:

1) Its probably worth emphasising the need to backup before attempting
   an install.

2) At times I have seen the need for upgrading /kernel to the current releases.
   This is necessary for tools that `know' about kernel internals (like `ps');
   I've even seen problems due to `mount' (when moving from Pre-Lite2 merge to
   post-Lite2).

So I would suggest the following section between `8' and `9':

    Before rebooting you should remake your kernel to be compatible with
    your newly built system.

    To do this you need to run `config':

    # cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
    # config GENERIC

    If you have your own kernel configuration file instead of the default
    `GENERIC', you should use that instead of GENERIC.

    `config' will inform you of the compilation directory it created for
    you.  `cd' to this directory and run `make'

    # cd ../../compile/GENERIC
    # make

    Make should complete successfully.

    Save your current kernel

    # cp /kernel /kernel.safe		{ or whatever name you wish }

    Do not use the name `kernel.old' as the make install step below will
    overwrite it.

    Install your new kernel

    # make install

    You should be ready to reboot now.

    In case you have any problems with your new kernel, you can reboot
    using your saved kernel by specifying the name of the saved kernel
    (in this example `kernel.safe') at the bootloader prompt.

Thanks for taking the initiative to produce an excellent tutorial.

Koshy
<koshy@india.hp.com>			My Personal Opinions Only.