Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2003 04:40:06 -0800
From:      "Ralph F. De Witt" <ralphdewitt@charter.net>
To:        Evermore_BSD <evermore_bsd@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Preinstall Questions?

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 02:31 am, Evermore_BSD wrote:
> > Hi:
> > I have two questions before I plunge in and make my first FreeBSD
> > install. Normally I keep a back up copy of all my data in a ReiserFS
> > formated partion on my hard drive. When I do a Linux Distribution install
> > I will reformat the non back up partions and then restore my data by
> > copying from the backup partion. Will I be able to do this with my
> > FreeBSD install? Will FreeBSD be able to mount and read write data from
> > this Linux Reiserfs formated partion? My second question is hardware
> > related. Is the Logitech 4000 Pro USB Web camera supported in FreeBSD?
> > Thanks very much for your help.
> > - --
> > Ralph
>
> 1. You will need to format the backup partition as Ext2, FreeBSD cannot
> mount a ReiserFS partition. However it handles Ext2 (read and write)
> just fine. In case you are wondering Ext3 should also work since it's
> just Ext2 with a journal attached, but stick with Ext2 because you never
> know.
Evermore_BSD:
Thankyou for your response. After I sent the email, I went out and bought a
copy of Teach yourself FreeBSD in 24 hours. Reading that I got the impression
that it had to be a EXT2 partition. So I moved the data around to reformat
the partition to EXT2, I killed my system, but managed to save the data in a
EXT2 partiton. So I jumped in to the install and have run up into my
knowledge barrier and lack there off. I am wondering if you could help with
my two most pressing problems.
Now that I have FreeBSD installed, How do I find out what the EXT2 partition
is called so that I can get it mounted and get the data restored so that I
can stop drowning in my email?
My other problem is with the networking. When I try to run cvsup I get the
following error:
unkitty# cvsup /usr/local/etc/ports-supfile
Cannot get IP address of my own host -- is its hostname correct?
When I configured the network. I configured for DHCP and then filled in the
machine name unkitty as host and filled in a fictitous ralphfdewitt.org as
domain. The machine connects to the internet through a cable/dsl router and
then through a cable modem to the internet. Mail and Browsing works so I am
at a lost as to what may be wrong.
Thanks for your past help. I hope that you can get me sorted out so that I can
get some breathing room to be able to read and sort the other little problems
out.

Ralph