Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:37:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS Kernel Panic.  Unaligned Access?

Paul Herman writes:
 > On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
 >
 > > Can you characterize your environment a little more?
 >
 > Hi Drew,
 >
 > Thanks for the in-depth explanation.
 >
 > A little about the environment: the client is 4.4-RELEASE alpha and
 > the server is 4.3-RELEASE i386 both with NFS compiled in kernel.
 > The mount point using NFSv3 over TCP:
 >
 > tick$ df /usr/home
 > Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
 > fs2:/u01/home  551540862 467896476 39521118    92%    /usr/home
 >
 > At the time it was crashing, it was a particular file.  Every time
 > after reboot I tried to access it, it panic'ed.  I went to lunch
 > this afternoot, came back, and since then I couldn't reproduce it.
 > I will try again tomorrow, and if I do I'll post a tcpdump.

The more that I think about it, the less I think that a TCP dump would
help -- the client is forming a read rpc, so it hasn't talked to the
server yet for this particular transaction.

If it keeps happening, can you switch to UDP & see if it goes away?
Its a lot faster in most cases, and since I've never seen this with
10+ alphas over 2 years running NFS over UDP, I'm figuring it might be
safer..

Drew