Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 17:20:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Journaling

> The Limit of 7 partionions is not of any interest if you use vinum.
> Vinum should be able to manage in 1 partion more volumes than you will want.
Ok nevermind :) Either way vinum is not up to snuff. It still has a way to
go before it can be used in a production environment. My question then
becomes what causes the 7 (partition, mount point, slice, whatever) limit?
FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris all share this limitation. Since they only
share UFS (AFAIK) I had assumed it was the fault of UFS.

> I'm also intersted in having a way to shrink an FFS filesystem, but it is
> much more difficult than growing and you have to rename inodes which is not
> always good.
> At this moment I'm thinking of some ways to retain the inode numbers.
> In the more common case your system is getting to small and you want to
> have another HDD added - so only be able to grow does make sense.
For me the issue has always been a mistake in the allocation of space on
my disks. The reult being a reinstall (as I usually have more than enough
space and do not want to add disks). This does not happen often but when
it does happen it is a pain. When I run out of space I can usually simply
add the other drive to another mount point and the ability to grow a
partition becomes a none issue.

-don