Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 18:37:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Kirchner <dpk@notreal.com>
To:        "B. Richardson" <rabtter@aye.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I want to break binary compatibility.

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, B. Richardson wrote:

> What I want to do, if possible is build a uniq system such that binaries
> from other systems will not run on it and vice versa. Is this possible?

I haven't seen this mentioned yet:

Would it be possible to hack the kernel so binaries will only be run if
they have a certain "binary signature", one that is different for every
machine. You'd want to do all compilation on another, possibly
non-networked box, and then install all binaries mode '111' (or 4111 or
whatever) so nobody could read the "signature". Maybe this is how the
whole magic number thing works... I was thinking more along the lines of a
'phrase'.

Maybe a make world option in /usr/share/mk or something?

-dpk