Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 95 12:17:22 IST
From:      "Ugen J.S.Antsilevich" <ugen@netvision.net.il>
To:        ugen@FreeBSD.org, Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: snp(4)/watch(8) code review comments

>I did a preliminary run through the snp device code that you added and had
>some comments to make.  No insult intended, but I see room for improvement
>here:
>
>(a) we should document that this device is a BIG security hole and people
>    should only compile it into their kernels if they're willing to
>    take that risk
Hmm..actually this is security help:) At least for me...:) If one already has
root access to open /dev/snp (which is openable ONLY by root),he already found
security breach and doesn't need another one..:)

>(b) It seems to me that having to specify the type of tty that you're
>    looking at is brain-dead.  I see that you've got knowledge of the
>    tty structures for the ptys, sios, and vtys.  All of this information
>    is already in the cdevsw table and you should be accessing it via
>    those vectors, not through your own back-door interface.
Hmm..actually i agree with you and i also thought to do it that way...
The only thing here is the fact you'll need to change watch utility to get another
types of tty... ( i personally prefer to write "pty8" instead of "ttyp8"
but this is really simple task..)..So you'r right and this should be done probably..
>Would you consider making these changes before 2.1 ships?  If not, would
>you mind if I changed the interface and watch and fixed it?
Hmm...hmm..actually i thought to do it myself but if you want-you can do it,i don't
mind..Wait,say, till 26-27,if i don't do it-you do it...If you impatient though
you can do it now-just notify me...:)

--
-=Ugen J.S.Antsilevich=-
NetVision - Israeli Commercial Internet          |  Learning