Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:36:33 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>, "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oh no. The Guns Debate (was Re: On "intelligent people" and

> Perhaps this is because America provides most of the sensational
> television.
>
> The rest of the world has a significantly higher rate of
> terrorism; I'm sure many terrorist countries are only too happy
> when their victim neighbors disarm their populace.

You're saying it would be better somehow if the victims were
armed?

In places with already heavy terrorist problems, the terrorists
may use machine guns. For instance, Kashmir. But that's a more
complicated problem than just terrorism. When they strike in a
relatively peaceful area, with the intent of drawing attention to
themselves, they use bombs. In America, too. (You can't walk
around in the middle of a big city with a machine gun, and you
can't kill a large number of people with a pistol.) Moreover,
they either escape well before the blast, or are suicide bombers.
Try using a gun against that.

Anyway, that has little to do with regular violent crime. I lived
in Delhi, which had a terrorist problem in the 1980s, as in bombs
would randomly go off in buses. Delhi's not regarded as totally
safe even crime-wise, but I've never been mugged or robbed at
gunpoint/knifepoint there, and don't personally know anyone who
has. Yes, crime does happen, killings too, but it's not like you
walk into any "unsafe" area and you're immediately asking for it.
In other cities in India one can walk around safely at all hours
of night. I've heard that that's impossible in most places in the
US; I've never been to the US myself, and most people past their
twenties tell me they've been mugged at least a few times.

I'm not saying that the solution is to disarm the population in
the US: I know that won't work. But there is a problem of how to
deal with increasing violence, in America and elsewhere, and I
don't think arming ordinary people is the solution. I absolutely
don't understand the moral / "democratic rights" / "our founding
fathers wanted it" arguments in favour of guns at all.

The one statement on this thread which I fully agree with is the
idea that all gunholders should have compulsory training and pass
thorough tests before being given a licence. But I'm still
unconvinced that anyone willing to go through such training
should be given a gun.

> Similarly, the U.S. has not really had mass violence incidents
> resulting in large scale death, which seem to be common in the
> rest of the world.  The only real exceptions to this are the
> Civil War, the Revolutionary war, and government actions like
> those in Waco.

If Bin Laden and his group were in Canada, rather than halfway
around the world, you would not be able to say that. Even now
terrorists only go to America in numbers of dozens at most, not
thousands. I'd like to know the British opinion about the IRA
problem, especially in the 70s and 80s, and whether it would have
helped if ordinary people had been given guns.