Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:12:04 -0600
From:      Chris Costello <chris@holly.dyndns.org>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@showme.missouri.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for elf upgrade

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999, Stephen Montgomery-Smith put this into my mailbox:
> Yesterday I did an upgrade from 3.0-Release to 3.1-beta.  I did
> make world, then I made the kernel.  At the end of the make kernel,
> I got a message about the kernel being elf!!!  Bad timing to find
> out about this - I was told to look at
> http://www.freebsd.org/~peter/elfday.html
> and by this time, the code mismatch between the binary executables
> and the kernel made netscape unusable.  Good thing I
> wasn't upgrading from 2.2.x, maybe then I could not have even installed
> lynx or Mosaic to get the info I needed.

   Odd.  Netscape runs for me.  I have an ELF kernel and the new bootblocks,
and obviously a new ELF world.

[chris@holly ~] $ uname -srm
FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE i386

> Well, I did get it figured out.  But I have one suggestion for the
> web page
> http://www.freebsd.org/~peter/elfday.html
>
> It told me that I needed new bootblocks.  I think a paragraph explanation
> of what bootblocks is would have helped a very great deal.  As it was
> it was like telling me to wear a nuffle on my head when it is cold.
> Like, what is a nuffle?  So what is a bootblock?  I did figure
> out enough to get it to work  (I am guessing that a bootblock is
> some code at the beginning of each slice that is loaded by booteasy).

   I believe the boot blocks contain the software required to access the disk
and boot the kernel.  Obviously you'd need new boot blocks if you'll be
trying to run a kernel that the 2.2 blocks don't understand.

--
<SIGBUS> Bus error (passengers dumped)