Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 03:32:40 +0200
From:      thrawn@linux.nu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Raid on mylex dac960pg and ami 428 raid cards

Hi,

I have a machine with 3 x 9 gb scsi discs, Its a mylex controller. Here is my dmesg:

mlx0: <Mylex version 4 RAID interface> mem 0xe3000000-0xe3001fff irq 10 at device 10.1 on pci0
mlx0:  *** WARNING *** This firmware revision is not recommended
mlx0:  *** WARNING *** Use revision 4.06 or later
mlx0: DAC960PG, 1 channel, firmware 4.04-0-00, 4MB RAM
mlxd0: <Mylex System Drive> on mlx0
mlxd0: 8680MB (17776640 sectors) RAID 5 (offline)

I know that there is 3 x 9 scsi discs on it but the config is set up as this, see above. But there is no bios on this card and I have to set up the array in w2k.
I guess that? Any way I have installed a junk w2k installation for this so that,
I can setup the array and the partion It in FreeBSD, As I only intend to run raid
0 on this tree discs. But Im woundering if there is any way of doing this in FreeBSD?
Or I have to do it from w2k, I have not fixit it to work with my controller in w2k.
Any way it is no an 100 % FreeBSD question. Im only woundering if it is possibel to do it in FreeBSD? With out w2k that is.

In a other machine I have a AMI MegaRAID card and its working perfectly with 2 18,4 gb scsi discs.
How ever I have get my hands on two extra 18,4 gb scsi discs and I want them to join the array.
So Im woundering if there is any way of doing it from FreeBSD? Or I have to do it from w2k?
So far I have not got very far yet, but I trying. I Have a w2k install on a junk disc.
I think it should be possible to join 2 discs to an array. Here are some info from
my array and card from dmesg:

amr0: <AMI MegaRAID> port 0x9400-0x947f irq 2 at device 9.0 on pci0
amr0: <Series 428> Firmware UF82, BIOS 1.61, 32MB RAM

amrd0: <MegaRAID logical drive> on amr0
amrd0: 35000MB (71680000 sectors) RAID 5 (degraded)

And one last question why is my id 1 on cable one device getting degraded all
the time when I reboot my system or have hade it shutdown for some time?

I can provide more info if needed, It might have something to do with
interferance or something smilare ? But I can have something to do what I did not
have a clean shutdown?

The last question is how do I avoid a device to not get degraded?

Thanks for your time to read this email even if you don't answer it.

Mvh Mattias  Björk