Date:      Wed, 8 Feb 2006 08:58:25 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christian Baer <christian.baer@informatik.uni-dortmund.de>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GELI -> What to encrypt?

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:20:00AM +0100, Christian Baer wrote:
+> Hi folks!
+>=20
+> This question may seem a little strange, but don't hit me yet. :-)
+>=20
+> I was just sitting here wanting to set up a new GELI-device when it
+> struck me: What should I encrypt exactly. If I were to use GBDE, the
+> usual concept is to encrpyt (only?) the actual partition ad2s1d. GELI
+> suggests to encrypt all of ad2. I guess I could partition the
+> pseudo-device then. Would I get something like ad2.gelis1d?
+>=20
+> Does this have any advantages oder just encrypting the partition and if
+> so how important are these?

GELI, just like GBDE or any other GEOM class can work on _any_ GEOM
provider (disk, slice, partition, mirror, etc.).

Because this is the second such question I'm seeing, I'll probably add a
note to the manual page.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3