Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 2015 06:01:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it>
Cc:        reg@dwf.com, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD 10.1 to a partition.

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015, Luca Ferrari wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 4:48 AM,  <reg@dwf.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to do something that would be trivial with
>> Linux.  Namely install FreeBSD to a partition on the
>> disk.
>
> From here <https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html>:
> "The FreeBSD boot loader requires either a primary or GPT partition."

boot0 requires a primary partition, but presumably there is a multi-boot
thing like Grub already in place.  FreeBSD itself does not have to be on
a primary partition.

The manual options for creating disk partitions in bsdinstall should
allow creating or selecting the correct partitions.  I don't know if the
latest bsdinstall allows avoiding installing the bootcode, or just skips
it if custom partitions are selected.