Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 23:52:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk, tlambert@primenet.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

According to Jordan K. Hubbard:
> > > I like this.  I think that there should be coordination with the
> > > OpenBSD and NetBSD folks to make sure they are usable "out of the box"
> > > for them as well.  It could become simply "The BSD ports collection".
> >
> > 	YES!  I definitely agree with this idea -- since OpenBSD already
> > 	uses the ports...  Having a common set of CD's / archives that
>
> This would be nice, but I'd also have to *test* these packages on
> those platforms or at least cooperate closely with someone from each
> camp to do so, and frankly that's a lot more extra work than I feel
> comfortable signing up for.
>
> Again, it "would be nice", I'm not disputing that, I'm simply saying
> that if we don't keep our goalset small, at least for the first couple
> of iterations of this, then we won't get it done for any of the *BSDs
> (including FreeBSD).

	Hm.  Closely linking the 3 BSD's would be such a major win
	that we need to put in the effort, I think.  If the proposed
	``port-server'' is realized, why not put Net|Open disks on
	the platform and co-ordinate the ports effort.

	The NetBSD and OpenBSD teams could share and repicrocate.
	Have you talked to the Net|Open folks, Jordan?

	At the very least, we ought to keep this idea in focus; it's
	solid.  We can only gain.

	gary

--
  Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix