Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 10:34:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quite amusing, really....

I have 3 at NASA/Ames, and the DAO folks there have another. There is no
project that is actually using any of them at this time. The work I'm required
to do at NASA/Ames can only get me to do any FreeBSD work at all, let alone on
alphas, let alone on the 8X00, by such an extreme stretch of circumstances,
excuses and close to outright fibs that nothing much has, in fact, gotten
done. Thus the machines sit idle unless I blow free && hobby time, which is in
damned short supply, to do this.

You would think I could get them to loan them out or give them away. Nope.
That's not how it works. If I excess these machines, they go to special
division at NASA/Ames, which then will put them up for auction. If I could
find a way to legally open up a vtunnel to these machines so that all of us
could use them remotely and the power consumed would be a freebie from NAS, I
would. No such luck at that.

I am *extremely* frustrated, but, hey, what else is  new?