Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 18:09:30 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        cyu0635@home.com
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: File permission

cyu0635@home.com wrote:
> but after I exact it 'ssh-3.0.1.tar.gz -----> directory ssh-3.0.1', the
> permission changed
>
> drwxr-xr-x     8     11171    users    4096    Jun 7 14:26    ssh-3.0.1
>
> Why?
>
> Please teach me? and who is 11171 and users?

Well, you set the permissions on the archive file, you then extracted
files from the archive.  Setting the permissions on the archive file
does not particularly set permissions on the files within the archive.
If you paint an envelope green, do the contents of the envelope become
green as well?
User 11171 is probably the UID of the owner of the file on the computer
where it was originally archived.  If you do not have an entry in
/etc/passwd for 11171, then the system has to display the UID instead
of the user name.

--
"Where's the robot to pat you on the back?"